Since ROSA’s inception in 2019, we have been laying the groundwork for effective regional science: defining research priorities, creating tools, and developing the structures to enable collaboration. Key initiatives have included:
- Establishing the advisory council and research advisors.
- Outlining short-term research priorities.
- Generating the Offshore Wind Project Monitoring Guidance and Framework, which outlines fundamental elements to include in monitoring plans.
- Engaging closely with fishermen on gear standardization for offshore wind monitoring surveys.
- Undertaking the Fisheries Resource Data Project to better understand types of fisheries research data being collected, sampling gear and monitoring methods being used, and gaps that need to be addressed.
- Developing a regional research framework that will help prioritize research and direct resources toward key research questions.
- Partnering with others regionally, nationally, and internationally.